Wemyss Collieries


11 in stock.


This little 7-page booklet is a facsimile (published by Wemyss Environmental Education Centre in 1992 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Michael Colliery Disaster) of a booklet originally published by The Wemyss Coal Company Ltd in 1933, describing the history and then current activities of the company.  In 1933 the active collieries were Lochhead, Michael, Rosie and Wellesley, with operations at Earlseat, Muiredge and Cameron suspended. The booklet goes into detail on the origins of coal mining in Wemyss Parish from 1428, the geology, the seams being worked, the methods of working and the pumping arrangements. A must for anyone interested in the history of coal mining in Fife.